▪ In general, you have to calculate a total cost of about 13% for a property in Spain.
This includes everything: notary fees, registration duties, taxes, stamp duty and fees
from a lawyer.
Below we go through these items separately:
▪ Notary fees: Depending on the purchase price stated in the notarial deed, their fee will be
between 600 and € 875. Also in Spain the notarial profession is an official office and so are these
▪ Property registration: This is also regulated and depends on the price of the property
this will cost € 400 to € 650.
▪ Transfer tax / VAT: 10% of the purchase price
For new construction this is VAT (IVA in Spain), for existing homes this is
a transfer tax or ITP (Impuesto sobre las Transmisiones Patrimoniales). There are
exceptions at lower rates, but these are extremely rare for 2nd residences.
▪ Stamp duties (Actos Jurídicos Documentadosof IAJD):
These are levied on new properties and are calculated on the notary and registration costs
Each autonomous community has its own rates. These are between 0.5% and 1.5% of the purchase price.